Thursday, August 5, 2010

Peach Scones and Summer storms.

Last night after work, I took the pup for a 20 minute run. It was so incredibly humid – I’m talking hard to breathe humid – plus it was pretty August-hot. Anyhoo, we went for a run, and the pup figured out that since it had just rained that morning, the leftover puddles by the curb of the road made for a perfect pool for him to collapse in during our exercise.

0804101851b

I thought he was just going to drink some of the water, but, nope, he just plopped himself down right in the puddle. He’s not a big fan of running in the heat. Can’t say I blame him.

I still had leftover peaches, so I got a craving for some scones. I searched for a recipe that called for ingredients I had in my cupboards, and finally found one here. Big surprise… I made some changes to the recipe. But it turned out pretty tasty. They weren’t as dry as most scones, and I did taste the whole wheat flour quite a bit – but it didn’t taste bad to me. ;)

Peach Scones

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 or 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
3-4 small fresh peaches, peeled & chopped
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold butter
1 egg yolk
1 cup 2% milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

 IMG_1263

First, I peeled and diced my peaches. It called for a half cup, but I had tons, so I decided to extremely heap the half cup! You’ll also want to preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

IMG_1264

Then, in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. I also added cinnamon & some nutmeg.

IMG_1266

Using a cheese grater {this was a new concept to me}, grate the cold butter {mine was frozen, which worked well}  into the flour mixture.

IMG_1270

IMG_1272

Then you cut it in with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.

IMG_1273

Toss peaches in flour to coat.

IMG_1274

Meanwhile, beat together egg yolk, milk and extract. {The recipe called for half and half, but I didn’t have any, so milk was my best shot. Turned out okay, I think.}

IMG_1275

IMG_1276

Then quickly blend wet ingredients with dry. {Try not to work the dough much.}

IMG_1278

IMG_1279

Then, I piled it onto my baking stone and spread it into a circle. Then I sliced it into triangles.

IMG_1281

I sprinkled sugar on top of the dough because I love those scones that are covered in sugar!

IMG_1282

Then, pop ‘em in the oven & bake at 450 degrees for approximately 12-14 minutes.

Meanwhile, I returned to the 24 episode we were watching. Eugene & I have started going through the seasons of 24 from the beginning, since we never hopped on that train when it was moving a few years ago. It’s not bad – we both agree it’s way too predictable and over the top, but we still keep watchin! We watched two episodes last night and are almost done with Season Two.

IMG_1283

My scones took more than the recommended 12-14 minutes, more like 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center came out clean.

IMG_1284

They were worth the extra 6 minutes wait. The were pretty light {which isn’t usual for scones} and definitely summery tasting.

IMG_1287

I liked the recipe, but I think next time I will add blue berries to the mix too. It would be fabulous for sure then!

IMG_1285 

While I ate my scone and watched 24, a big storm hit. And the sound of the rain, while I sat so comfy on my 1985, pink, free sofa and savored my baked good was just oh-so calming to me.

IMG_1294

Mmm, summer storms & scones.

signature3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...