Monday, February 14, 2011

Tarnished gold to oil rubbed bronze.

A couple things came together for me yesterday to make it a very nice day – I’m finally starting to feel better, the weather’s warming up to the upper 30s and will be pushing 60 later this week, I was able to open the windows our our house to air out the germs & dust, and I enjoyed time outside after church finally shoveling the inches of ice off our driveway while the pup played in the melting snow.

Our friend, Jake, helped us in a big way by rewiring our electricity so that we can safely use our oven. {Thanks so much!} And while he & Eugene were busy with that, Eugene’s sister tackled some more English Herb Garden wallpaper and I worked a little on organizing the bedroom, cleaning windows, and fixing our headboard.

I also grabbed my ORB spray paint that I had left over from this project & this one too and decided to try it out on our main bathroom’s faucet.

IMG_9120

We don’t plan to replace the vanity or the countertop for a long while, so we thought we might as well try to paint over the tarnished gold faucet to see if we could get it to work. After all, I think {besides the ugly state of the gold} it’s kind of a cool faucet with some character. :)

  IMG_9121

I probably should have removed the faucet from the countertop, but this thing was stuck solid {plus I was low on energy!}, so instead, I taped around each part of the fixture with some blue painters tape, poked a hole in a trash bag and surrounded the piece with the trash bag & sprayed away.

  IMG_9122

IMG_9123

IMG_9127

I let it dry completely between coats & ended up doing 3-4 coats…while the pup made himself comfy on our couch.

IMG_9130

This pic below is pretty true to color. I like that the ORB isn’t basic black, but has specs of bronze that show through.

IMG_9132

Oh and for the spots where the spray paint sneakily {yup, it’s a word} got away from my trash bag, a SOS/steel wool pad took it right off the countertop. Here’s the finished product…

IMG_9182

How about a little before & after action…

 IMG_9121before IMG_9184after

We plan to paint the pink tile white, paint the wood vanity, paint the knobs on the vanity, paint the walls/ceiling, add new flooring & more. Sheesh, we’ve got a lot to do.

On a different note – how about a Happy Valentine’s Day to y’all out there in blogland. I asked Eugene not to spend any money on Valentine’s because the house is taking plenty of our cash these days, but when I got in my car this morning I found this…

IMG_9186

It’s perfect. Valentine’s Day is definitely a bit of a Hallmark holiday, but nonetheless, it’s nice to reflect a little on love. Klove, a radio station I listen to sometimes, aired a love song written in just a few days by Matthew West specifically for one of its listener couples. You can read all the details & listen to the song on their website here or buy the song on Amazon here. Anyway, I listened to the song as it was played for the first time today & it brought me to tears. The lyrics are so honest & real –

Had a picture in my head of how i thought it all should go. look who showed up instead, turns out you never know. love will steal you buy surprise, and take your heart just like a thief. Love can bring a stubborn man down to one knee.

And I wouldn’t change a thing. It’s perfectly imperfect, so crazy but it’s worth it, and I’m wrapped around you like this ring, and something tells me even if I could, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Love will show you what you lack, love will laugh at all your plans, and if your heart won’t give it back, love will slip right through your hands. But Heaven knows we’ve had our share of days we’d rather leave behind, but love don’t really seem to care, it makes the wrong turns turn right.

And I wouldn’t change a thing. It’s perfectly imperfect, so crazy but it’s worth it, and I’m wrapped around you like this ring, and something tells me even if I could, I wouldn’t change a thing.

I’m truly, and deeply, and madly, completely devoted, every moment, till my last breath, I’m yours. Got a picture in my head of a hundred years from now, when all our lines have all been read and we’re both up there looking down, saying

“I wouldn’t change a thing. It was perfectly imperfect, and every bit was worth it. And I’m wrapped around you like this ring, and something tells me even if I could, I wouldn’t change a thing.”

God’s blessed me so much with earthly relationships filled with love. Especially with my husband. And although we’ve had our share of days we’d rather leave behind, it’s made us appreciate the good ones even more. God’s also blessed me with His love for me. It’s amazing really.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Wishing you lots of love today. :)

signature4

project linked to:

PhotobucketThe DIY Show Offimage Keeping It SimplePolly Want a CrafterDomestically SpeakingTransformation ThursdayHookingupwithHoHRemodelaholicThe Shabby Nest

32 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! That is SO great!!!
    Thanks for showing us how you did it... After seeing yours.... this is my very next project.
    LOVE it!!!!
    (stopping by from BNOTP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one that spray paints in her bathroom. :) I love the ORB look! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! I would never have the guts to do this! Thanks for sharing...I have a laundry room faucet that needs this treatment...maybe I'll give it a try;0)
    Happy Met Monday.
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. incredible job. wow!! I absolutely love ORB...i just got done using it on all of my doorknobs in my house. thanks for sharing it on between naps on the porch...found you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow-fab job-love the orb-i'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit-Claire

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just happened by from the POPP, and I had a Eureka moment! I could do this in my powder room. My faucets are not as charming as yours, but I still would like to try the painting. Great job, and what a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to do this, will you post how well it holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it... such the perfect example of how paint can so simply transform a space! I'm putting in the PoPP Spotlight. Thanks for linking up...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the results with the spray paint. I want to take my shiny nickel faucets to brushed nickel...maybe I'll try paint!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coming from The Shabby Chic...I saw your project....what a awesome idea.....and it looks so beautiful.....thank you for sharing this...now I'm off to get me some paint....my whole house has gold ugly knobs.....in the future they wont.....gloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it! And my hubby and I went today to look at faucets...they are EXPENSIVE!! I am getting the spray pain to our old ones too.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the compliments! So far it's holding up perfectly - no chipping or dullness at all. :) It'd probably look even better had I taken the faucet off the counter before painting it, but eh, oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this so much I featured it this week at my Hookin Up with HoH Party!

    Feel free to stop by and grab a button if you'd like!

    ~Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This looks so fabulous. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Jane, coming from HOH, where I saw your feature girl. I SO WANT TO DO THIS.... like seriously. I think your faucet looks AMAZING now, and I'm seriously hoping I can pull it off too. You gave a wonderful tutorial.

    So did you prime or sand it at all, or just spray away. What paint did you use exactly. I know you just did this, BUT how's it been holding up so far, with all the water, and wiping it down?

    Please come share this over at me blog party, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have you girl.
    Bella Before and After **AMAZE ME AUGUST**, and GUESS what? I have a fabulous giveaway going on this week too for the cutest ZEBRA print APRON, and TOWEL SET. Come enter before it's too late. GIVEAWAY HERE, I really appreciate the support girl.

    Hugs,
    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh and def your newest follower. Your blog is awesome!!!

    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bella - thanks for the kind words! To answer your questions, the spray paint was Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze (pictured in this post http://janeandeugene.blogspot.com/2010/05/it-never-fails-another-home-decor.html) and I actually didn't prime or sand anything...just sprayed away! And so far so good with how it's holding up. Wipes down easily, no chipping, and looks just like it did the day after! The faucet even leaks a little (because it's old), but that hasn't messed up the paint one bit. We'll see how it looks in a few months though :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The spray painting thing was genius! We've purchased oil rubbed accents for our bathrooms, but they just have standard chrome faucets...hmm... Although your faucets do have more character, so I think they look better in ORB than ours would!

    I like your V-day sentiments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that your sweetie has a romantic (even on a budget) streak!

    I popped over from HoH's linky party to say hi and tell you that I am so glad I saw this post. Our Masterbaths (yes...weirdly there are 2...nice, but weird) have the lovely golden glow of old brass fixtures and I have debated on what to do with them. They are great quality and have character I just don't like the finish...now I know!!!! Thank you! Can't wait to check out more of your blog and get some inspiration.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Jane, I seriously loved this idea so much!!!

    LIKE LOVED it actually, so much that......

    I just HAD to FEATURE YOU, come grab a button and display it proudly!!

    Thanks for linking up to Bella Before and After **AMAZE ME AUGUST** party, I LOVE having you.

    Hugs,

    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love this!!

    I do have a question, how do you plan to paint your tile? We have yucky rose colored tile in our bathrooma and don't want to spend the $ to replace it right now- painting it would be so awesome!!

    Heather
    www.dorilukedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heather, I haven't quite finished researching how to paint the tile. A Lowes employee told us that if we use Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer it would stick to the tile, but we should try to sand it a little first(not sure if this is possible thought.) I'm not sure when we'll get to the tile project, but I'll definitely blog about it when we do!

    Also - FYI to all - spray paint is still holding up perfectly on the faucet & drain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad to see someone else do this! I spray painted my bathtub faucet black last year and it has held up great! I replaced the other faucets. but the bathtub ones were $250 and up...not happening! Mine has held really well so far. I would love to do the edge of the shower door, but was not brave enough. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. what exact brand of oil rub bronze spray paint did you buy?? Please be very specific because I want the exact same look for my faucets??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jennifer - you can see a photo of the spray paint I used here: http://janeandeugene.blogspot.com/2010/05/it-never-fails-another-home-decor.html. It shows the full can & name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Is this still holding up? I want to do this so bad but I'd hate to have to keep redoing it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi There - just wondering how your faucets (or anyone else's) have held up after spray painting. I just bought a beautiful cast iron sink that came with gold fixtures. I was wanting to make them look less shiny but don't want to totally ruin them. It is for a cottage so I could live with the gold but am always into a DIY...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi all! My faucets are holding up pretty well, a few tiny dings here and there from use mainly around the base of the handles. The one part that hasn't held up well is the round piece at the bottom of the sink bowl - the part comes in contact with water the most. Other than that, it's been a great, lasting project! Hope it helps! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...