Sunday, June 2, 2013

Cutting the butcher block.

Let me start by saying I have a really awesome neighbor. He owns “Cabinet Transformations of Ohio” and so when I invited him to look at our kitchen and hear our plans, he jumped on board! He took the lead with helping us remove our boomerang counters, cut and fit our new counters, and he’s coming back to connect our sink and install the new counters soon.

IMG_5229

IMG_5273

Eugene and his sister took a trip to Ikea and bought two 96” pieces of Numerar Oak butcher block countertops for $169 each. {We actually bought another smaller piece just in case, but we didn’t end up needing it.} We left the wood slabs in our kitchen for a week or so to adjust to the temperature/humidity of our room.

IMG_5251

Once our counters were gone {hallelujah!}, our neighbor laid the butcher block on the cabinets, measured, lined them up, and traced the sink template onto the wood…

IMG_5247

IMG_5248

IMG_5252

And just for kicks, here’s a sneak peak at my beloved sink…

IMG_5249

I’ve never been so excited over a sink! It’s an undermount, low divide stainless steel sink from MR Direct that I snagged for $188.89 with the drain baskets and shipping. Oooh, aaaah. :)

Once my neighbor drew his template line for the sink, he drilled starter holes in each corner…

IMG_5256

Next, he carefully cut slightly inside the line…

IMG_5255

IMG_5257

IMG_5262

Once he got close to completing the round sink cut, he got really smart and screwed on this small board onto the piece of butcher block that would be falling inside the cabinet…

IMG_5263

So when he finished the last cut, the board kept all in place so he could easily remove it without a big crash. {So smart!}

IMG_5264

The only thing I would have done differently in this whole process would be to remove everything from under my sink. Sawdust mess!

IMG_5266

Next up, he used this handy-dandy sander to patiently sand the slightly jagged edges back to the line he drew using the template…

IMG_5267

IMG_5269

{How sweet is this dusty action shot!}

IMG_5270

It took him a little while to get it all sanded evenly and to the line, but when he finished, it looked fabulous!

IMG_5271

After that, his next step {along with help from his son} was to cut & piece together the remaining pieces of counters…

IMG_5274

IMG_5275

IMG_5276

You can see the pieces joined with screws and wood glue here. I didn’t go with a diagonal cut after some recommendations from other contractors. they all said it was nearly impossible to get it to fit perfectly and sealed well. The kitchen {and it’s existing cabinets} are far from perfect, so the straight cuts were just fine for us.

IMG_5287

My neighbor also rounded the edges on the sink hole and sides of the counters…

IMG_5280

IMG_5282

IMG_5281

Next up, sanding & sealing!

signature4

4 comments:

  1. It looks like we have very similar taste in kitchens. White cabinets, butcher block counters, chalkboard paint.... Love it all! I actually found you via Pinterest, as I'm looking at butcher block counters myself. What are your thoughts on the Ikea counters so far? Did you oil them, or apply another type of finish? I love the idea for working dough, etc, but wonder how they'll be around the sink. Thanks! ~Clair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clair,

    So far, I LOVE the counters...especially with the the General Finishes sealer. You can see about how we finished them with that sealer here: http://janeandeugene.blogspot.com/2013/06/sealing-installing-butcher-block.html I'm so happy with the choice to go with General Finishes rather than Waterlox. The finish isn't food-safe, so I don't prepare food directly on the counters, but the undermount sink makes it a breeze to clean up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Thanks! C.Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What type of sander is that he used on the inside of the sink hole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Ed. I really don't know what type he used. Wish I could be of more help here!

      Delete

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...