Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Peach crisp at small group.

So I already mentioned that my parents had an abundance of fresh peaches on their trees. I decided that I would pose as a baker yesterday and make peach crisp for my small group {we’re called The Cleaver’s} meeting. We meet every Monday from for an hour and a half, and it’s always nice when there’s a sweet to cap off the night.

IMG_1212

I found a recipe for peach crisp in the new cookbook my dad gave me.

IMG_1214

Pretty basic ingredients…which is important to me because I’m so cheap frugal that I won’t go buy an ingredient just for one recipe.

IMG_1213

Of course, I made a change – but only a slight one. I doubled the recipe {doubled below} as it recommended “for a crowd” for a 9x13 glass pan. But I did half the flour white and half whole-wheat. Turned out great.

Peach Crisp {America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook}

Topping:

6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon table salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces   and chilled
1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds {I didn’t have this much, but it was okay.}

Filling:

6 pounds peaches (12-18 medium), peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated zest {I didn’t have this} plus 3 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon

IMG_1216

I had never baked with fresh peaches before, so I googled how to peal peaches. It was pretty simple. Just boil a big pan of water. Then submerge your peaches in the boiling water for only one minute.

IMG_1218

Then you immediately submerge the peaches in cold water/ice bath for one more minute.

IMG_1219

After that, you just easily peel the skin right off.

IMG_1221

Then came the fun task of pitting and slicing the slimy things. I don’t know the “correct” way to do this, but I just sliced one line completely around the peach, from the top to the bottom, and then gently pulled the halves apart, leaving the pit for me to easily pull out.

IMG_1222

I was finally able to make the topping at this point. I just measured the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into my mini food processor. {It was a bit crammed.} Pulse it until it’s fully blended.

IMG_1227 

Then you add your butter pieces and pulse it again until it resembles “wet sand.” {Interesting choice of comparison, ew.}

IMG_1228

Then comes the nuts. I used pecans and I’m confident I made a good choice. ;) Pulse it again until it’s all chopped up. Pour the topping in a bowl and refrigerate it for 15 minutes.

IMG_1229

On to the filling. Take those dollishly fresh peaches and pour on the sugar and lemon juice. Toss it around to coverer the slices.

IMG_1230

Pour that into your greased 9x13 glass baking dish.

IMG_1231 

Finally, crumble your crisp mixture evenly on top of the peaches.

IMG_1233

And bake it at 375 degrees for 55 minutes until it’s a gooey, bubbly, sweet-smelling delight.

Then, you marvel at the fact that it took you over an hour and a half to prepare was devoured in less than 15 minutes by a room full of newlywed couples. Because we were rushed, I didn’t get a picture after it baked, but I did get a picture of it after it was demolished by our friends. Um, I think it’s save to say it was a hit!

IMG_1237 

Oh, and just because I love my pup, we I gave him a piece of my grilled bbq chicken that my fab hubby made for dinner, and he was so confused! Seriously, what kind of pup doesn’t know to gobble up that meat! {He eventually ate it & enjoyed it.}

IMG_1234

I still have a few peaches left, so I’m craving some scones…might just have to take that adventure tonight!

signature3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...