Friday, June 3, 2011

Small fixes.

Is it bad that it’s Friday and I’m still updating the blog from things done this weekend? As mentioned Tuesday, I tackled some minor projects around the house this weekend – not including the big fencing duo. After my success as an amateur electrician, I had enough confidence courage to try to replace some of our yucky outlets & light switches. All our switches and outlets are off white & most have layers of paint and dirt covering them from the previous owners. So I picked up some new, bright white, clean replacements for about $20 at Lowes.

IMG_2431

After being a bit too courageous dumb & thus getting shocked once, I got smart & turned off all our electricity in the breaker box. Then it was simply a matter of removing the screws fastening the switched to the wall, loosening the screws on the side {remembering which wire was connected to the top vs. the bottom}, wrapped the wires around the screws on the new switch, tightened the screws and refastened it to the wall. Add the cover plate & it’s instantly prettified.

IMG_2433

 

IMG_2546 

I went with the slightly fancier flat switch version for the dining area. Oh, la, la! ;)

IMG_2547

IMG_2548    

I also sewed another panel for my curtains above the kitchen sink. My mom mentioned that they looked a little sparse, and she was right.

image IMG_2417
{Before}                                                                     {After}

The thicker curtains look much better {and less homemade.}  :)

IMG_2418 

I also added a quick fix to my DIY roman shades, as time’s gone by, the ribbons have caused the centers to sag a bit, so the sides aren’t staying right against the windowsill like the are in the original picture below…

image

I just used a basic sewing pin to pin the side of the fabric into the wall & bent the pin to hold it in place. Worked like a charm! Plus, no one will notice the small pin…well except all you out there who’ve read my blog.

IMG_2413

Other quick fixes included painting the hallway a second coat to cover where one of our new drywall patches went…

IMG_2420

…painting both sides of our new & improved wider entryway between the kitchen & dining room…

 IMG_2424

IMG_2410

We went from this:

image

To this.

IMG_2428

Ah, {so much} better. Other than a ton more outlets replaced, {including the bare one in the picture above}, that about wraps up our weekend’s quick fixes… just in time for another weekend of projects!

On a different note, Eugene teaches at a local Catholic middle school {no, if you’re curious, we’re not Catholic.} His eighth graders had their graduation program followed by a dance on Wednesday night, so I headed over to spend some time with my husband since he was stuck there all night.

 IMG_2655

The graduation was in a beautiful church, and boy did my husband look handsome. Such professional. ;)

IMG_2656

He has a reputation as being a really hard teacher, but it was clear to me by watching his interactions with his students and their parents that he’s great at his job.

IMG_2662

I’m so proud of his successful completion of his first full year of teaching. Yes, it’s been a ton of work, many many late nights, and some sacrifice, but he’s certainly done a wonderful job. I loved hearing first hand by his principal & coworkers how much they value him at his school. {Atta boy, Eugene!}

signature4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...