Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Banishing the bushes.

We had a lovely anniversary evening together. Nothing extravagant, but still perfect.

IMG_3164

We went out to dinner at Red Lobster, where I enjoyed the Parrot Bay Coconut Shrimp, followed by the triple chocolate brownie a la mode {shared}, and Eugene kept it safe/boring {as usual} with chicken fingers & fries.

    

It was definitely unhealthy, but ridiculously delicious. And what made it even better for me {being the cheapskate that I am} was that we had a gift card that covered most of the bill! Guiltless joy! :) We also watched The King’s Speech, which was a good movie, but not as good as the last movie we watched, August Rush.

Other big news for the house, more specifically, curb appeal mission: “fix the eye-sore that *was* our yard,” our house now looks like this…

IMG_3167

Did you notice the difference? {The title of the post probably helped.} Eugene borrowed his dad’s four-wheeler & my dad’s ax and rope-tie-thingy, and with some shoveling, axing, and yanking, Eugene successfully removed 7 unsightly bushes from the front of our house.

IMG_3128

One bush had died before we moved in, but the others were still alive & kickin’. I felt slightly bad about pulling the living plants, but everyone I talked to agree that they were dated, ugly, and made it extremely difficult to plant around them because of their root systems.

IMG_3127

While Eugene focused on the bush banishing, I took out some aggression on some low-lying branches on our trees. These buggers were a royal pain to mow around/under, so I was happy to knock em’ down.

IMG_3125

We had quite a large pile of bushes & branches for pick up, and believe it or not, the township folks came and removed the brush the next day!

IMG_3132

We were able to conquer the right side of the house on Sunday night, taking it from this…

IMG_3122

To this…

IMG_3131

Or if you want to go back to an earlier before picture, here’s the comparison…

IMG_9828b-horz
{Before}                                                                                        {After}

Then, despite the drizzling rain, Eugene, with the help of his awesome sister, tackled the left side of the house yesterday while I was at work.

IMG_9827-horz
{Before}                                                                      {After}

And how about a full house comparison shot?

IMG_2801b-horz{Before}                                                                     {After}

I was so happy that Eugene got so much done without me, that I didn’t even mind that the pup apparently loved the muddy holes that the bushes left. He was covered in clumped dirt & our house reeked of soggy dog when I got home. He reluctantly got a much-needed bath, and continued to pout at me for the next half-hour.

IMG_3146

He is so not pleased. He much prefers dirt.

One last shrub-less house picture…

IMG_3168

Now, I need to beg/plead/bribe my mom {or simply ask, cause she’s that nice}, aka the master gardener, work her magic on the landscaping. It’ll be worth of a full spread in Better Homes and Gardens in no time – well, maybe that’s a stretch – but at the very least it won’t be the eye-sore of the neighborhood any more! ;)

signature4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...