Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Warm potato soup & the first snow.

I’ve been craving my cheesy potato soup for the past three weeks, and I just haven’t gotten around to making it.

IMG_6702

Yesterday, I finally decided I didn’t want to wait any more, but I made this decision after work, and the recipe’s a slow cooker recipe. Never fear, I decided to just try it on the stove & hope for the best.  I also had bacon leftover from last night’s omelets, so I used bacon instead of ham. {I think ham’s just a little bit better in this soup because it gives more flavor to the potatoes.}

It wasn’t the best – I actually prefer the slow cooker version more – but it was pretty darn good! This recipe’s great because I usually have all the ingredients on hand & other than peeling the potatoes, it’s super simple. Plus, it’s a great recipe for having a crowd over.
Oh, and I lost the recipe card, so I had to call my dad {who asked me to write the recipe down for him a while back.} Luckily, he found his copy! So now I’m positing it here so I have it saved for next time. Also, I accidentally deleted the ingredient picture, so you’ll just have to use your imagination for that one today….

Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup

Cooked ham, or bacon {however much ya want}
1 can of chicken or vegetable broth
8 {or so} potatoes
1 can of corn, drained
2 carrots
1 celery stalk
1/2 onion
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3-4 cups water
3 tablespoons flour

Pour the broth & water in your slow cooker {remember, as you can see below, I did mine on the stove top, but I recommend doing it in the slow cooker.} Add your diced ham {or 1/2 your bacon}, peeled and diced potatoes, carrots, celery, & onion, and add your can of corn.


IMG_6683


IMG_6684
IMG_6686

Cover & let it sit on high for 5-6 hours in your Crockpot. {For the stovetop version, I boiled it on high for at least an hour.} The soup will turn a golden color from the corn & carrots.

IMG_6690

After five or six hours in the Crockpot, you’ll want to measure out your milk & add your flour to the milk & stir it well to dissolve all the flour. {This avoids the chunks that you typically get if you add the flour straight to the hot soup broth.

IMG_6691
IMG_6692

Now, pour your milk/four mixture into your soup {still in the Crockpot.} Let this cook in your Crockpot for 30 more minutes on high.

IMG_6694

Now, using a potato masher, mash your soup to break up the potato chunks.

IMG_6697

If you’re using bacon instead of ham, add the rest of your bacon now. {I was afraid the bacon would get too soggy if I added it all at the beginning.}

IMG_6698

Also add your cheese & stir until it’s fully melted.

IMG_6700 

Serve it up with some saltines or grilled sandwiches & it’s SO good! Perfect for a chilly day!


IMG_6702

Speaking of a chilly day – we got our first real snow of the winter here today. And let me tell you, the pup could not be any more excited. He LOVES snow! I took him on a walk & the second he stepped out the door & saw the white on the ground he went berserk! He just jumped up & down {literally} and ran in circles. I snapped some phone pics of him digging his nose in the snow trying to eat it.

1201101247a-1
1201101259a

Silly dog. I’m not a fan of the cold, but watching him go crazy about the snow makes it a little better!

signature3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...