Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lazy girl’s chocolate chip cookies.

Eugene & I are going over to a friend’s house tonight, so yesterday {after seeing chocolate chips on sale at Aldi} I decided to bake some cookies to take with us. Now, mind you, it was already 9:00 pm by the time I got home & started, so I was feeling tired & not too willing to follow detailed instructions. So, I chose to make the Lazy-Girl version of America’s Test Kitchen’s Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies. This meant, not really measuring any ingredients, not following the instructions, ignoring the hard parts of the recipe, and hoping they tasted okay in the end!

IMG_7402

Lucky me – they turned out great! Soft, chewy near the center, but still slightly crispy edges. Delish. {They hit the spot…I had 3 for lunch – oops!}

So, here’s the real recipe with my lazy changes in parenthesis.

Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies

  • 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour {I didn’t really measure, just heaped & hoped!}
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 14 tablespoons unsalted butter {I used 1 stick of salted & 2 tbs of “buttery spread” aka cheap margarine from my fridge…didn’t brown like I think it was supposed to, but it tasted fine in the end!}
  • 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar {I used what I had – light brown sugar}
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract {I used my Mexican vanilla & it gave it a strong vanilla flavor & I liked it.}
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk {too lazy to separate it, so I used 2 large eggs!}
  • 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips {considered adding more, but I’m glad I didn’t…this was plenty.}
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts {I didn’t measure, just threw in some chopped pecans.}

Adjust your oven rack to the middle position & preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray your baking sheets. Whisk the flour & baking soda together.

IMG_7383

Heat your butter in a nonstick skillet {they recommended not using a dark pan} until it’s melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling the pan constantly until the butter is dark golden brown and has a nutty aroma, 1-3 minutes. {Mine never got dark golden brown, prob. because of the “buttery spread” but oh stinkin well.

IMG_7386

Transfer the melted butter to another large mixing bowl & add your vanilla, sugars, & salt.

IMG_7385

IMG_7388

Whisk until it’s blended well, then add your eggs.

IMG_7392

Whisk until it’s smooth and no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Let the mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk 30 more seconds & do this trick twice more.  It’ll become thick, smooth, & shiny. Ta da…

IMG_7396

Add your flour mixture…

IMG_7397

Use a spatula to mix this together just until it’s combined.

IMG_7398

IMG_7399

Add in the goods – chocolate chips & nuts.

IMG_7394

Place cookies on your baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.

IMG_7400

Bake until the edges have begun to set but the centers are still soft, 10-14 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling rack to cool to room temperature.

IMG_7401

I loved that these were a bit thick, not the pancake flat cookies I sometimes get.

IMG_7403

YUM.

Oh, and my wondrous thing today is how sparkly the snow is today. “Sparkly” sounds like a princess’s made-up word, but that’s the best way to describe it. I tried to snap a pic. using my phone while taking the pup for a lunchtime walk, and it shows just slightly {more if you click the picture to enlarge it}, but God’s glitter is way better in person!

IMG00111

It’s the best kind of bling!

signature3

1 comment:

  1. Well I have to say... We feel so special that you stayed up to make us cookies!! And the are Ah-Maze-ING to boot! We had a blast with you guys and it was SO much fun to have someone here who apprecitates the hard work we've put into our DIY house! Your interest was so much more fun than the usual... "uh-hu, that's nice honey..." from Jake! lol.

    My FAVORITE blog actually wasn't linked directly on your page... but you HAVE to add this to your list!! She is so creative!! http://www.houseofhepworths.com/

    Let me know what you think!!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...