Friday, September 3, 2010

A Wittenberg campus stroll.

Paco, my college volleyball coach, asked me to stop by to talk to his team about “big picture” outlooks and the mentality of Wittenberg volleyball from my experience. Thus, I baked some turtle brownies, took a motivational poem that {in my opinion} encapsulates Tiger Volleyball, grabbed my camera & headed to my alma mater.

IMG_2414

One of the biggest things I miss from college {besides playing on such a great volleyball team} is taking walks around campus. So I left a little early for my pep talk so that I could take a stroll with my camera and take in the beautiful sunshine & the hills of campus.

This is Tower Hall, where I lived for two years. I loved {so much}my sophomore year in this hall with my awesome roomie!

IMG_2424

This is Myers Hall. There’s rumors of a horse ghost that haunts this building because, apparently, it was used as a hospital during the civil war days & a commanding officer was dying on the top floor of the building. His last request was to see his horse. Since there were no elevators {still none} in this building, they walked the horse up the five flights, but then since horses won’t go down stairs, they had to shoot the horse. And there we get the haunted hallway – the ghost of the horse that can be heard galloping across the fifth floor.

IMG_2431

Below is the Weaver Chapel. No air conditioning, but beautiful stained glass windows and a super high wooden beam ceiling. There’s also rumors that there’s hidden underground tunnels under the chapel. {Who knows.}

IMG_2433

Just some leaves turning for Fall.

IMG_2435

This is the Wittenberg Seal. It’s always told to first years that if you step on the seal at anytime during your schooling at Witt, you will NOT graduate in four years. I wouldn’t know if it’s true…I avoided the darn thing like my life depended on it! {No need to even test it – four years was expensive enough!}

IMG_2438

Supposedly, if you and your special someone kiss on this bridge, aka the Kissing Bridge, three different times {or was it two times?} you’re destined to be married to each other. {Yup, Eugene & I did this, despite it’s cheesiness.}

IMG_2442

Below is a flag that is outside Recitation Hall.

IMG_2449

And this is Recitation Hall.

IMG_2447

My senior year, Witt got some new marketing and a new logo – Pass It On.

IMG_2448

And this picture {which I really like} is of the chapel from a distance.

IMG_2428

Such a pretty campus. :)

The volleyball team is looking really good this year. I’m pumped to go watch a few games! I enjoyed chattin with the girls too. Oh, and in case you want some athletic team mojo…here’s the poem.

They told me there is no “I” in team.
I am an athlete.
I am an individual.
I am strong.
I am weak.
I have desires, hopes, and dreams.
I have goals.
I have fears.
As a team my opponent will never see my weaknesses.
Only my strength, never my fears,
only my goals as they unfold before them.
I am not afraid that my team will see my fears,
my hopes, dreams, or desires.
I trust them to an unlimited level.
I am not afraid that my team will see my faults,
because with them I can overcome my faults,
with them I am fearless,
with them I have hopes and dreams.
With my team I am not weak,
I do not have the strength of one athlete,
but of many, combined, focused,
and dangerous to my un-united opponent.
I become my team and my team becomes me.
I do not judge, and I am not judged.
I have a goal, and the team has a goal.
The team goal is my goal.
All that matters is that the team reaches its goal.
They always told me there is no “I” in “Team”.
They were wrong.
I am the team.
I became the team.
The team became me.
The team becomes an entity unto itself.
The team is strong, creative, compassionate, caring,
authoritative, disciplined.
The team absorbs “I”, and then there is “I” in “Team”.
The “I” becomes part of something much more powerful.
They were right there is no “I” in “Team”,
but there is “Team” in me.

Gosh, it makes me want to go kick some butt on the volleyball court again!

signature3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...