Monday, September 27, 2010

QT with S-I-L’s and banana spice bread.

Friday night, the joy of being a coach’s wife began {sense the sarcasm} as Eugene was gone all evening for a basketball fundraiser. It’s alright though because he’s coaching to provide even more for our family, and it’s a good career move for him, plus I got some great QT with Rita & Heidi, my sista-in-laws on Friday night. :)

Eugene’s sisters came over to visit with my lonely self, and we had such a good time visiting, chatting, laughing, trying on homecoming dresses {Heidi, not me!}, even shedding a few heartfelt tears, and followed the honest talks up with some homemade banana spice bread & lots of laughs. I love those girls & I’m so thankful they view me as their sister. {Big wondrous thing.}

IMG_3304

So without further ado, here’s the recipe for Banana Spice Bread. It’s the first time I’ve made it & I used two different recipes as a starting point {hints why I have ingredients in the picture below that I decided not to use}. I had five bananas frozen & ready for some bread makin’, but I didn’t want to typical, every-day banana bread…I wanted something more Fall, filled with lot o’ spices. And this recipe delivered perfectly. Mmm, delicious blend of spices and fruit – great for the Fall season. Oh, and I have to give props to Eugene’s youngest sister, Heidi, who was our professional photographer the whole time: “Work it flour!” and “nice job, show that vanilla!” Oh too funny! {PS prepare yourself for lots of picture = long post.}

Banana Spice Bread
{makes two large loaves}

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar {next time I will use less here, it was plenty sweet}
1 cup light brown sugar
6 tablespoons of skim milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 {or so} very ripe bananas
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
cinnamon & sugar to sprinkle on top

IMG_3196 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees & instruct your sou chef to start peeling the bananas {thanks Rita!}. Spray your loaf pans so the pretty bread won’t get stuck.

IMG_3203

In your mixing bowl, add the vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar, milk, & vanilla.

IMG_3197 

IMG_3205

IMG_3210

IMG_3212

IMG_3218

IMG_3219 

IMG_3220{This is the vanilla Eugene’s parents gave us from Mexico. Mmm.}

IMG_3224

In a separate mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients – flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, baking soda, & baking powder.

IMG_3234

IMG_3242 IMG_3244

All the while, your poor sou chef’s hands are about to fall off because of all the peeling on the frozen bananas. Oh what love is in her eyes! {To shelter you from the complete violent scene, I cropped myself out of the left side of the picture!}

IMG_3248b

Ok, still with the dry ingredients…

IMG_3253 

Mix them up well using a fork.

IMG_3260

Finally, with a bit of team work from the sistas, the bananas are peeled & mashed.

IMG_3264

Add those to your sugar/oil/milk mixture & turn your mixer on medium until it’s well blended.

IMG_3270

Slowly mix your dry ingredients into your batter.

IMG_3277

Mix on medium until the dry is fully incorporated.

IMG_3279

Oh, and just so I remember the joys of baking in my current kitchen…see the HUGE area I have in our condo. Roomy, isn’t it? {Hey, it works for now & hopefully someday we’ll find a house with a nice spacious place for baking…or at least one where you can get in the fridge and oven at the same time!} :)

IMG_3221

Once the batter’s blended, pour it in your bread pans.

IMG_3280

And smooth the tops with your spatula.

IMG_3281

By this point, the pup was totally uninterested in our baking. And of course, our photographer had to capture the moment.

IMG_3241 

Now for the special touch…sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the top of the loaves. {If I had any pecans, I would have added them to the top too.}

IMG_3285

Pop ‘em in the oven for 50-60 minutes, and prepare to be entertained by your silly sista-in-law. {Wow.}

IMG_3291 

Once you can insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf & it comes out clean, the bread’s ready!

IMG_3300

Let it cool in the pan for about five minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack  & try to refrain from digging in until they’re cool.

IMG_3301

See the cinnamon & sugar topping? :)

IMG_3302

Yum, Fall spices!

IMG_3303 

We could only stare at it so long…delish!

IMG_3305

Oh, to finish the weekend recap quickly, Saturday we looked at a big fixer-upper house & had lunch with my parents, then I worked a sweet 16 party where the cake was from this guy…

image

He’s  The Cake Boss, and this was the cake:

IMG_3333

And on Sunday, we went to my Aunt Jane’s for a potluck with my dad’s side of the family. These always equal TONS of food.

IMG_3346

Man, can this family cook! :)

signature3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...