Thursday, September 9, 2010

Garlic hummus and pita chips.

For the Labor Day Festivities, I decided to make hummus and chips. I bought the ingredients a while ago, I just haven’t had the gumption yet to sit down and actually try to make it. To my surprise, it was super super easy to make! Plus hummus is low-fat and full of protein. {Just ignore the fact that it makes your breath incredibly unbearably garlicy!} I got the recipe out of my Betty Crocker cook book, but I made a few additions too.

IMG_2538

Garlic Hummus

1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans {also called Chick Peas}
1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil {I also used some of the juice left in the chick pea can as part of the 1/4 cup of liquid}
1 clove of garlic
2 table spoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of salt {I used a grinder that had sea salt, pepper corns, and lemon zest}
Paprika
Crushed Red Pepper
Chopped fresh parsley {I used dried, it was all I had.}
Pitas/Tortillas for your chips

IMG_2529

First, I needed to peel your garlic & the easiest way I know how to do this is to take the flat side of your knife and press down on the garlic clove hard.

IMG_2531

This smashes the garlic & the peel falls off & is then just easily tossed to the trash.

IMG_2532

Then I added my can of chick peas & 1/4 cup of oil {with a splash of the chickpea juice} into my Magic Bullet. {P.S. we got it as a wedding present & love the Magic Bullet…especially for milkshakes & fruit smoothies!}

IMG_2530

Then add the lemon juice…  

IMG_2533

…and add in your parsley, garlic, paprika, salt, & crushed red pepper.

IMG_2534

Screw on the top to the magic bullet & shake it by hand for a second before you start blending it.

 IMG_2535

Blend & pulse it until you get everything all pureed {but leave some chunkiness for a good hummus texture.}

IMG_2536

Spoon it in your serving dish, sprinkle on some paprika & you’re ready to go.

IMG_2537

Now onto the chips. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. I had some pita/tortillas in the fridge, so all I did was slice them into long rectangle strips and then into smaller triangles.

IMG_2539

Toss them in a bowl with some vegetable or olive oil & parsley.

IMG_2540

Spread them out on a baking pan.

IMG_2541

Bake them for 10 or so minutes…just until they’re slightly brown and the edges look a little crispy.

IMG_2544

Let ‘em cool a while before you dig into the hummus dip.

IMG_2543

Oh, and the hummus dip is great with veggies {carrots, broccoli, celery} dipped into it.

P.S. The Magic Bullet infomercials are so stinking hilarious!

“Good morning, Berman!” Bahahaha!

signature3

3 comments:

  1. I have never made my own hummus, you make it look so easy, I will have to try it. Thanks!

    As for the Magic Bullet informercials - the lady in the housecoat is a hoot!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristen! It was super easy to make & I think it'd be easy to customize too (sun dried tomatoes added maybe?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooo....my hubby will lovvvvvvv this recipe. I will have to try it. Thank you so much for sharing. I will really impress him now :) (he does most of the cooking).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...