Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Finally something positive, including cookies.

We have something to praise about for sure. Eugene got a job offer yesterday with a local career technology school to be a social studies teacher. It’s not full time, but it still looks like it might be a very good option for us to consider. Praise the Lord that we finally have at least an option to even consider! We’re still waiting on more details about things like the benefits package, but it was an encouraging day yesterday for us.

On another note, for Eugene’s birthday, I made him Snickerdoodle cookies, using my mom’s recipe. I also made it at her place because we were there visiting the baby. I Do Not mess with this recipe…no changes made. I always told my dad when I was little, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and this recipe certainly ain’t broke!

IMG_0169 

Snickerdoodles

Cookie:

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar {I never have this on hand, but it’s absolutely necessary for good Snickerdoodles.}
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt

Cinnamon mixture:

1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

IMG_0159

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. {Can you tell this recipe card gets a lot of lovin from our family?!}

IMG_0153

Next, you’ll cream the shortening {I used a hand blender} with the sugar and the egg in a large bowl.

IMG_0154

IMG_0155

IMG_0156

This is what mine looked like creamed {below.}

IMG_0157

Then, stir in your flour, cream of tartar, soda, & salt. Blend this well also.

IMG_0158 

IMG_0160

In a separate smaller bowl, add the cinnamon & sugar.

IMG_0161

Stir the two together to make your mixture for the outside of the cookies.

IMG_0162

Use your dough to form balls {I made them about 1.5 inches or so?}. The recipe says it makes 2 1/2 dozen, but I only got about 18 cookies out of mine!

IMG_0163

Roll each ball in the cinnamon mixture to coat the cookie.

IMG_0164

Place them with an inch or two apart on a sprayed cookie sheet.

IMG_0165

Bake them for 8 – 10 minutes, let the cool for a few minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

IMG_0167

IMG_0168

These cookies are particularly great dunked in coffee {according to my sister} or milk {my choice.} Too bad I only got 1/2 of a cookie from this batch…guess Mom & Casey enjoyed them!

signature3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...