Friday, July 23, 2010

Banana-Oatmeal Bread.

Last night, our bananas were too ripe, we broke down and turned on the air {so I reasoned that it wouldn’t roast us if I turned on the oven}, plus Dillan was stopping by and he always gives me big props when I bake for him, and I promised a guy I work with that I’d give him some treats because he helped me out of a crisis situation for a wedding last week. All that to say, I tried another new banana bread recipe. I realized yesterday that I’ve made so many loaves of banana bread, but I haven’t ever used the same recipe twice! I really liked this recipe though, so I just might have to break that streak.

I found the original recipe here, but tweaked it after reading some comments and looking in my cupboards. So below is my version of the recipe…and it turned out great. It was a little crumbly, but the taste was fabulous.

Banana-Oatmeal Bread

  • 1/2  cup  packed brown sugar
  • 4  tablespoons  vegetable oil
  • 2  eggs
  • 3 large  mashed ripe banana
  • 1  cup  regular oats
  • 1/2  cup  fat-free milk
  • 1  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 1  cup  whole wheat flour
  • 1  tablespoon  baking powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • Splash of Mexican Vanilla {this secret ingredient is not pictured below} ;)
  • Cooking spray
  • Pecans & extra brown sugar {if you want a little topping}

IMG_0759

First, you preheat oven to 350°. Then, combine the oil, brown sugar, and eggs in a large bowl {I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer.}

IMG_0760

IMG_0761

I decided to add some vanilla that Eugene’s parents brought back for us from their cruise to Mexico.

IMG_0762

Mix that on medium until it’s blended well.

IMG_0763

In a separate bowl, add your oats and milk.

IMG_0764

Mash  your bananas {I use a fork…easy peasy.}

IMG_0765

IMG_0766

Add the bananas to the oatmeal and milk mixture. Stir it together.

IMG_0767

Then pour this mixture into your sugar, oil, and egg mixture.

IMG_0768

Blend on medium until it’s all mixed in.

IMG_0769

In another bowl {I used the emptied bowl I just used for the bananas and oats.} Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

IMG_0770

P.S. using the white and whole wheat flour worked well – gave it a nice texture.

IMG_0771

IMG_0772

IMG_0773

I went ahead and used a heaping scoop of cinnamon ‘cause my boy loves him some cinnamon.

IMG_0774 

Mix those dry ingredients together well to be sure the baking soda and baking powder are all blended.

IMG_0775

Then, you add the dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and blend one last time on medium, until it’s all mixed.

IMG_0776

Finally, you’re ready to pour it into your greased bread pan {mine was just larger than a 9” by 5” pan.}. Don’t forget to spray the pan first! ;)

IMG_0777

This recipe made one large loaf. Delish.

 IMG_0778

I added a sprinkle of brown sugar and crumbled pecans for a little topping to the bread. Totally not necessary, but I loved it.

IMG_0779

Bake it for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted to the center comes out clear.

IMG_0780

Set the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes to begin to cool, then empty the bread on the wire rack to cool the rest of the way.

 IMG_0782 

Slice it up and serve it to your overly-eager husband and brother-in-law.

 IMG_0784

Watch it turn into crumbs in a matter of seconds. Um, I’m pretty sure they liked it.

Got a text from my other brother-in-law. Baby Cate took a field trip with her daddy to the aquarium.

0722101405a

You can tell by her big beautiful eyes that she had lots to look at…pretty girl!

signature3

1 comment:

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...