Monday, July 18, 2011

Oven vent.

We quickly got rid of the old appliances {before we moved in}, I didn’t remove the over the range vent right away because I didn’t have a replacement yet, and I thought it might be safer to have a vent rather than no vent at all until we got a new one.

IMG_2875

Well, I finally got sick of looking at the yellowed vent, so I ordered a new one online & quickly removed the old one on a whim one evening. I was absolutely disgusted with how nasty it was in the pipe & fan. {Barf.}

IMG_2877

Oh and this is the fancy, super-safe way someone installed this existing vent…sheet of thin aluminum & tape. Lovely.

IMG_2878

I’m wondering if this was “installed” by the same person who stamped coyotes & evergreens all over the bathroom walls. Hmmm.

After I removed the existing range vent & taped duct work, I realized that I’d have to make a trip to the hardware store to see what I could use to safely install the new vent because the built in pipe was a few inches above the bottom of the shelf. Here’s what I was looking at…

IMG_2980

After a few questions & searches at Home Depot, I found this piece of pipe {for under $10} that snaps together length wise & was the correct diameter to fit around the existing pipe & new vent.

IMG_2981

Eugene & I measured the correct length we needed & he carefully sawed off the excess.

IMG_2982

It was a super snug fit onto the vent, but it worked perfectly. So much better than taped version!

IMG_2983

We bought this shiny new vent a few weeks ago for a total of $58.49 shipped from Lighting Direct, which was the cheapest I could find anywhere for a 36” vent that was stainless steel. {I can’t find the exact model on their website anymore though.} Lowes had one for $90, and up to $200 – I’ll take my $60 version. I love getting a good deal.

IMG_2836

Well, this weekend, Eugene & I sweated our way through installing this new vent. It wasn’t terribly difficult, just hot hot hot in our house. And oh boy, it looks a lot cleaner & prettier than the old vent! {Don’t mind the smudges; I hadn’t cleaned it after installing it yet.}

IMG_4161

And the best part? It’s CLEAN inside that fan & pipe!

IMG_4162

How about a side by side comparison?

IMG_2855b-horz

Not bad for sixty bucks. {Especially since we bought it before we found out that our basement was going to cost a boatload to fix.} It was worth the money to me just to get rid of the hazardous taped concoction!

IMG_4160   

Goes well with the brand new chalkboard wall, don’t ya think? :)

IMG_4158     

Next on the list is to get some molding or something to fill in where we cut the the cabinets and counters to add the oven. Oh, and thank ya’ll for the kind comments on the chalkboard wall. Makes me smile! :)

signature4

Linked to :

Remodelaholic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...