Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cinnamon and sugar doughnut muffins.

I’ve always thought that doughnuts will be in heaven. Especially the chocolate cream-filled, whole wheat, and glazed kabobs at a local infamous bakery where I live. I have a special place in my heart for doughnuts, and some may call it my weakness, but I fully embrace my love of these sweet treats. In fact, all the one thing getting me through all my workouts, healthy eating, and stressful planning of my wedding was knowing that I was going to treat myself to an overdose of Schuler’s doughnuts the next morning. I even took a ziplock baggie of doughnuts with me to the airport on our way to our honeymoon! {A bit obsessive, I’m aware.}

When I saw this recipe for doughnut muffins, I knew I had to try it out asap. The bachelorette party this weekend was a perfect opportunity because I knew we’d stay the night & want something sweet in the morning to fuel us for the long drive home. And despite the extreme fatigue we all faced that morning, the muffins were received very well.

IMG_0835

I doubled the batch because I knew if I didn’t leave some extras at home, Eugene would be disappointed. {Aren’t I a nice wifey!} I also swapped out some white flour to wheat, added vanilla, & cut back the sugar a tad. In my opinion, these muffins taste more like coffee cake when you eat them right away {while still slightly warm}, but after completely cooling and when the butter dries they tasted extremely similar to doughnut holes. I actually liked them better the next day. They weren’t an exact taste match to doughnuts, but super close & even a couple days later they were delish. I made mini muffins, which I recommend for this recipe…more cinnamon & sugar coating is a plus with the mini version. The amounts below are before I doubled the recipe, so this recipe will make 24 mini muffins {I made 48.}

IMG_0805

Doughnut Muffins {originally adapted from here}
For the muffins:

  • 1 cup white all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg {next time I make these, I think I will use less nutmeg}
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1/2 heaping cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk

For the coating:

  • 1/4 -1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon

IMG_0806
{no brown sugar used…I was confused when I got these out.}

After you preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tins, you want to combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a medium bowl.

IMG_0808

IMG_0810

In a separate larger mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, vanilla egg and milk in a large bowl.

IMG_0812

IMG_0813

IMG_0816

Next, you can add dry ingredients and stir only to combine. 

IMG_0817

Then I used my cookie scoop to fill my muffin tins.

IMG_0819

Pop ‘em in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

IMG_0822

While muffins are baking, melt your butter in a small bowl in the microwave & in another small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. When the muffins are done {toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean}, shake muffins out of the muffin tin onto a paper towel while the muffins are still hot. You then dip muffins in the melted butter and then into the sugar and cinnamon mixture.

IMG_0823

IMG_0824

Place them on your cooling rack to dry & cool.

IMG_0835

Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee.

IMG_0831

Oh, heavens!

signature4

1 comment:

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...