Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oh Sugar, Sugar.

On the crazy day of church, painting, & evening church, I had to whip up a dessert to bring to our Pastor’s farewell potluck. It was a super quick throw together, but I made it just in the nick of time. When I found this recipe, I was relieved because they were quick {30ish min ready} & they had simple ingredients that I already had in my kitchen {not to mention the word “easy” in the title’s always a plus when you’re rushed!}

I substituted applesauce for some of the butter & added some sugar to the top of the cookie once I took ‘em out of the oven. Delish! I was so rushed that I didn’t even have time to snap any pics, but I’ll definitely make this recipe again, so I’ll add pics sometime later. I can think of so many varieties on this that would be great – rolled in cinnamon & sugar, iced, added dried fruit to the batter, added m&ms, etc.

Easy Sugar Cookies {original recipe here}

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
extra sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and in a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, applesauce and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls {I used the drop method this time around, rolling would definitely be prettier}, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven {mine took closer to 12-15 minutes}, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks. Sprinkle tops with granulated sugar & enjoy!

   Sugar Cookies
image source

One little older lady from our church told my friend, Scott, to grab one of my cookies because they’re so good & melt in your mouth! :) Love it.

Also just found this recipe that I cannot wait to make. I just need to finish fixing up the house, so we can have guests stay overnight, so I can cook them these cinnamon pancakes for breakfast {easy enough, right?!} Oh my gosh, these seriously look so good!


image source


image source

As mentioned, the sugar cookies went to a farewell event because the Pastor at our church is headed to another church. It’s such a great representation of following God’s will because he and his family are deeply rooted in our town, but feel called to take on this new adventure. But it also will leave huge shoes for our church to fill. Our Pastor is a true man of integrity, preaches straight from scripture to encourage & challenge with conviction. He’s an amazing servant to so many people, and he & his wife have also linked up a great group of new friends by starting our young newlywed small group. We will miss him terribly, but as he said in a sermon two weeks ago, God is huge, and He will carry us through all times of uncertainty.

signature4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...