Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Strawberry shortcakes.

I broke out my The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook to try out another recipe. The last recipe I posted from there – the blondies – was pretty darn good, so I had high expectations for this one too.

IMG_4955

It met my major criteria of only including ingredients I already have on hand.

Strawberry Shortcakes

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for the work surface & biscuit cutter
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons {1 stick} unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” chunks
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon half & half or milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten

First, you’re supposed to adjust your oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Add the flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar {I accidently added too much sugar…oh well, I like it sweet!}, baking powder, and salt in a food processor & pulse until it’s well combined.

IMG_4960

Next you add your butter pieces & pulse until it resembles coarse meal. Transfer it to a larger bowl.

IMG_4962

In a separate bowl, whisk the milk & whole egg.

IMG_4961

Then pour that into your flour mixture, and stir it with a rubber spatula until large clumps form.

IMG_4963

IMG_4964

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface & knead lightly until it comes together. Pat the dough into a 9x6” rectangle, about 3/4” thick. You’re not supposed to overwork the dough. I then used a simple drinking glass to cut out my shortcakes.

IMG_4965

Place the shortcakes on your greased baking sheet {or in my case, my pizza stone} about 1 1/2” apart. Brush them with the egg white & sprinkle with the rest of your sugar.

IMG_4968

Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through {I forgot to do this, but they turned out just fine.}

IMG_4972

Move ‘em to a wire cooling rack & prepare your fruit & cool whip for the summery treat.

IMG_4973

IMG_4980

These sweet biscuits were a light & fresh dessert that I can see myself making again next summer.

signature4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...