Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cheesy Potato Casserole with Cornflakes

I made this recipe for one of the Memorial Day potlucks we went to and it went over well. It was pretty easy – the most time-consuming part was peeling the potatoes, and it’s a great choice for kids because it’s not exotic or spicy.

Cheesy Potato Casserole with Cornflakes

9-10 potatoes
8 oz sour cream {I used light}
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 tbs butter
2/3 medium onion
salt & pepper
1 cup {or so} cornflakes

First, peel and dice your potatoes {I made mine the size of restaurant home fries.} Boil those for 20 minutes until they are still a bit crunchy, but cooked.

SDC14494 While those are boiling, dice up your onion and sauté it in your skillet with butter. 

SDC14495 

It will look like this when it’s finished:

SDC14498

In a medium bowl, mix your can of condensed soup, sour cream and salt and pepper.

SDC14496

SDC14497

Add your sautéed onions and butter to this mixture.

SDC14500

By this time, my potatoes were done, so I drained them and rinsed them in cold water to cool them a bit {not a necessary step though.}

SDC14499

Add the soup mixture and shredded cheese to your potatoes and gently mix together.

SDC14501

Have pity on the poor pup whose head is rested on your foot the entire time and throw him a few cornflakes.

SDC14503

Spray your your 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray, and then pour the potato mixture into the dish.

SDC14504

I didn’t do this, but I think next time I’m going to add more cheese on top of the potatoes. After that, add a cup of crushed cornflakes to the top of the dish {I didn’t measure at all here…just go with it.}

SDC14505

After this step, I put mine in the fridge for a few hours while we went to a birthday party. You can always bake it right away though. To bake, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake it for 30 minutes, or until it’s all bubbly and heated throughout. We were too rushed leaving, so I forgot to take a final finished product picture, but it pretty much looks the same cooked!

Eugene said he liked it better with the real potatoes rather than the frozen hash browns that are typical with this dish. He also said he went up for a third helping at the potluck and they were gone. Always a good sign. Mmmmm.

On a more depressing note, we got some more bad news on the job situation. I’m feeling very discouraged, but my verse of the day is Isaiah 42:16:

      I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
       along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
       I will turn the darkness into light before them
       and make the rough places smooth.
       These are the things I will do;
       I will not forsake them.

Lord, do not forsake us. Please guide us quickly and turn dark into light. We need you, every hour we need you.

signature3

2 comments:

  1. I made this for our Easter dinner.....kids shouted for joy when I told them what we were having! I took your advice and added a little cheese before the cornflakes! Yum! What a hit!!!! God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe, and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...