Friday, March 30, 2012

DIY fitted crib sheet.

I couldn’t find any decently priced orange crib sheets anywhere, so I figured I’d try my hand at DIY’ing one.

IMG_9787

I bought a flat twin sheet at Walmart for just $5 – cheaper than I could buy fabric, plus I had some leftover for other projects. I also picked up some elastic at JoAnn’s, and that’s basically all ya need for this project…

IMG_9761

I referenced a bunch of different online tutorials and combined different parts of them to give it a shot. First, I folded my fabric in half and measured one side to be around 35” {you want a rectangle of fabric 70” x 45”}…

IMG_9762

Then the other side I measured to be about 45”…

IMG_9763

Then, with my fabric folded into quarters, I cut a 9”x 9” square out of the corner.

IMG_9766

Once opened, this left me with all four corners cut out…

IMG_9767

The next step is to gather the corners together and pin them. This is hard to explain, but easy to figure out. See where the scissors are above? On each of the 4 corners of your unfolded fabric, you take the point that’s above the handles and match it to the point that’s directly south of the tip of the scissors….

IMG_9768

Sew where you pinned on all four corners…

IMG_9771

I sewed them 3 or 4 times to make sure they were sturdy because I’m betting most of the pulling and wear will happen at the corner seams…

IMG_9772

From there, you want to fold over your raw edges twice and create a casing {about 1/2”} for your elastic band…

IMG_9773

Sew your casing, but remember to leave a couple inches open so you can insert your elastic…

IMG_9774

IMG_9775

The length of elastic will depend on your crib size and preference of how tight you want your sheet, so just test it out.Add a safety pin to the end of your elastic, and begin the monotonous process of threading it through your casing…

IMG_9778

IMG_9779

Once you have your desired tightness/length of your elastic & it completely threaded through your sheet, you want to overlap your elastic & sew it so you have a complete loop of elastic…

IMG_9780

And this is what you’ll have…

IMG_9781

And here it is on the little one’s mattress…

IMG_9782

Close up of the corners…

IMG_9783

And the wider view…

IMG_9786

IMG_9785

To be honest, it was a lot easier to make than I expected. The worst part was threading the elastic, and that was just boring, not difficult! I think I’ll gladly use the customized $7 crib sheet {with leftover elastic & fabric}. Not too shabby! :)

signature4

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial, you make it look easy! I'll have to try sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...