Monday, October 3, 2011

DIY bedroom light, round one.

Earlier this summer, I picked up this simple drum lamp shade at a garage sale for $0.50.

IMG_4803

And this is what our bedroom light looks like…

IMG_5114

I bought some white paisley fabric and traced the shape of the shade onto the fabric…IMG_5100

I used some spray adhesive that I borrowed from a fellow crafty friend…

IMG_5099

Once I cut & ironed the fabric, I sprayed both the fabric & the shade with adhesive. I folded over the edge of the fabric to create a seam too.

IMG_5103

IMG_5101

I snipped the top and bottom edges so that I could easily fold them over the top/bottom…

IMG_5105

IMG_5107

This worked well to create a covered edge…

IMG_5108

IMG_5109

There were some wrinkles, but I just used my hand to smooth them before the adhesive dried.

IMG_5112b

I had to get McGuyver-ish to attach it to our existing light fixture. I used some wire to thread it through two holes on the gold fixture.

IMG_5117

And, surprisingly, it worked!

IMG_5118

The bottom looked a little janky, so I devised another plan to cover it {coming in another post.} But I like how the paisley pattern shows through when the light it on…

IMG_5121

So here’s it is with off…

IMG_5119

And on…

IMG_5120

Not bad for less than $7. :)

signature4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...