Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Skinny chocolate chip scones.

I think people either love scones or they hate ‘em. I don’t think there’s much middle ground when it comes to scones. I happen to be in the love ‘em category. I made these scones pretty much straight from the recipe, and I really liked them. I’ll happily make this yummy recipe again.

Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 12 • Serving Size: 1 scone • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 199.6 • Fat: 8.1 g • Protein: 3.7 g • Carb: 29.8 g • Fiber: 2.3 g • Sugar: 12.8 g
Sodium: 257.4 mg

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup all purpose flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips
  • cooking spray
  • 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 tbsp sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°. Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.

photo3

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.

photo1

Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. {Sorry, blurry cell pic.}

photo2

Gently fold in chocolate chips. Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist.

photo9

photo5

Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands. Form dough into an 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick. Using a knife, cut dough into 12 wedges all the way through. Brush egg white over dough and sprinkle evenly with sugar.

photo7

Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes, depending on your oven.

photo6

Serve warm.

photo8

The only bad thing about this is that Jordan is not a love ‘em type, so I end up eating his share…good thing these are “skinny”!

signature4

1 comment:

  1. These look fantastic! I cannot wait to try them myself! Maybe tomorrow. I adore reading your blog!Found it via Pinterest a while ago. I had to put you on my best of blogs list! I'd like to give you the Liebster award. You can go on over to my blog funandfancyfoods.blogspot.com to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...